Carrie gathered three honest friends to join her inside The Inner Circle to give their version of what Christmas and the holidays mean to them. She welcomes Heather Vos, Haley Mowat and Paul Plakas in to talk about the magical and the special parts of Christmas, and also open up about their own challenges within their families, dealing with loss and grief, and unattainable holiday expectations. They talk about non traditional Christmas activities that have filled them with true joy, and invite us to shift from consumerism to kindness. It’s a conversation about the realities of Christmas, from real people who have some raw opinions they want to share.
What You’ll Hear in This Episode:
- Three people who are courageous and prepared to have a frank conversation about the holiday season! Carrie welcomes: Heather Vos (Creative in Marketing for the Luxus Group), Paul Plakas (Personal Trainer at Custom Fit for over 20 Years) and Haley Mowat, Creative Director of Carrie Doll Consulting.
- Haley opens up about her Christmas this year, and navigating it while being separated with two young children, ages 3 and 8.
- Heather’s story on the devastating loss in her family of her Baba and her brother, and the way her mother stepped up and continued to carry on traditions with love and hard work.
- How the process of grief and loss has turned into appreciation and happy memories.
- Why we can still remember and honor the old traditions as we are building and creating new ones.
- Paul’s desire for a holiday that is less about religion and consumerism, and more about kindness and grace.
- You don’t need to spend a lot of money (or any at all!) on your gifts! The group gives some great ideas that can show love and care without breaking the bank.
- Why it’s important to be kind year round, but especially at this time of year, and how we can use our holidays to help others in need.
- A reminder that big conversations are best left when there isn’t wine or eggnog being poured heavily.
- Do what makes you happy. If it’s a big traditional Christmas, cool. If it’s going to the movies or volunteering, that’s great too.
- “The adulting of it all during Christmas is...different.”
- “My mom continued to put hard work and love into it, and that was inspiring it to me.”
- “Santa Claus was created by Coca Cola.”
- “If it’s in a joyful and loving spirit, then you do you.”
- “You don’t need to spend money to get into the Christmas spirit, you just need to be around people you like.”
- “Be kinder. It doesn’t have to be anything big. Even the small things can have a big impact.”
- “We are here to make other people feel good, and better their lives.”
The Mustard Seed
Journey Into the Inner Circle:
@CarrieADoll - Twitter
@carriedollconsulting - Instagram
Carrie Doll - Facebook
Please rate, review and follow the podcast!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.