Ellen Latham is a perfect example of “never say never”. She took a vision she had in her mind, and a love of helping people become happy and healthy, and created a billion dollar business. Today, she shares her journey of going from a single mom fired from her job, to opening her own fitness center, to creating Orangetheory Fitness, a company that changed the fitness industry and created a colorful new category. She also shares some top level fitness insight, how she overcomes moments of self doubt, and why she will never give up a delicious bowl of spaghetti.
What You’ll Hear in This Episode:
- Ellen’s background in fitness and health, and the impact her parents had on her winning mindset.
- Yes, even Ellen has mornings she doesn’t want to get up and workout. Find out how she gets out of bed to rise and conquer.
- Ellen’s very own fitness regime, eating plan, and the different modalities and moderations she does to switch it up.
- The fateful day Ellen got let go from her job, and the details she still remembers decades later.
- How her father instilled his sports psychology of momentum shifting to be resilient, grateful and proactive.
- The societal shift in mindset and mentorship of women in business over the recent generations that Ellen has witnessed.
- How Ellen made the giant leap from giving one on one lessons, opening a pilates studio and opening “Ellen’s Ultimate Workout”.
- The way Ellen brought in cutting edge science to design workouts that get proven results in an entire new category.
- Why Ellen turned away her first offer to franchise!
- The lessons Ellen learned in not being able to “Ellen-ize” every studio, and the need to create design templates that could be followed successfully.
- That asking for help and support is a display of strength, not a sign weakness.
- The wonderful and unique culture that Orangetheory creates in every studio, with every person.
- The importance of mixing human contact with modern technology in business, and how Orangetheory balances both.
- Why women shouldn’t be afraid of weight lifting!
- What’s next for Orangetheory, and Ellen both personally and professionally.
- Ellen’s advice for female entrepreneurs looking to truly live their best life: believe in your potential, find your purpose, stick with your people.
- “Create your “why”, and you gain clarity and motivation.”
- “I’m Italian, so carbs are something we will never give up.”
- “Focus on what you do have and your talents, know your worth.”
- “When I hear a problem, I look for solutions. That’s just who I am.”
- “You have to believe in your potential one thousand percent.”
- “Take advantage of the colorful thinking of women. It will add to your business.”
- “I’m going to leave a legacy of changing and improving the world.”
- “You find great happiness when you find your purpose in life.”
Journey Into the Inner Circle:
@CarrieADoll - Twitter
@carriedollconsulting - Instagram
Carrie Doll - Facebook
Please rate, review and follow the podcast!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.